Friday, January 22, 2010

Proverbs 3

When I read the New Testament, I really can't read far before I stumble a verse regarding the justification through law vs the justification through grace.

It seems like the author of Proverbs also hints at it as well.

The first 12 verses is based on the law, the commandments. And when if you do not "forget [the] teachings" and "keep [the] commands in your heart", "length of days and years of life and peace will add to you."

But from verse 13 on, it begins, "blessed is the man who finds wisdom."
"Long life is in her(wisdom's) right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace."
And the rest of what this wisdom will bring is so beautiful.

The law and wisdom.

But this I loved:

Verse 3, "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."
And in the NKJV and ESV version, verse 21 says, "keep sound wisdom and discretion; so they will be life to your soul and grace to your neck."

The comparison of the law being a binding on your neck while the wisdom is grace to your neck; the law as an inscribed tablet on your heart to wisdom becoming life to your soul.

To me, the words in the bible become so much more incredible and tasteful when they are less of a series of directions for me to be good and to be wise, but more of this reoccuring evidence of a lover who has come to rescue us from the chains of law (because we inevitably sin) to freedom in grace.

2 comments:

  1. ​​​such a good writer yoorhim nuna is. haha

    19 By wisdom the LORD laid the foundation of the earth;
    he established the heavens by understanding.
    20 ​​​​​​​By his knowledge the primordial sea was broken open,
    and the clouds drip down dew.

    man,, i realized that ever since the beginning, wisdom has been one of the most precious traits of God. I know that by having this Godly wisdom, 2:9 "you will understand what is right and just and fair--every good path," but it must be so tough to get it eh.
    I read this in the commentary and i think it's true.

    And in religion the "wise man" is he who gives to the things of God the same acuteness that other men give to worldly affairs

    haha very nicely put. i hope ya'll are keeping up with the reading and know that i'm always praying for you guys.

    ,Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoo rhim!
    verse 3 totally stuck out in my mind too as I read it.
    I imagined the physical burden that would be actually carrying those things around our neck! How funny that God knows how to word this to really make us remember how important having those two attributes are. Ouch - and writing that on the "tablet of my heart", that would hurt but at the same time that means I would always know and remember it. If only I had love and faithfulness truly in every situation, Satan would have no chance:) I need to work on this!!

    ReplyDelete